homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Monday, May 23, 2011

Gluten Free: Best Tacos Ever!!!

I should probably explain the lack of good posts for the past month or so.  Along with the normal craziness of life, my sister was in town one weekend, my sister-in-law another one, I’ve been trying to work on the yard on warm days, and I visited my sister-in-law in Texas.  Phew!  It’s been fun, but busy!

So, please forgive me for the lack of recipes, but as a result of my trip to Texas I’ve got some amazing recipes to share.  AMAZING!!! 

image

Have you ever heard of Fuzzy’s Tacos?  Sounds weird (and moldy), I know.  It’s not.  It’s a fun restaurant with the most amazing food EVER!  We went twice while I was there and I wouldn’t have minded one bit if we’d gone more.  I came back to Utah craving a Fuzzy taco and not being able to get one (we don’t have any in UT Sad smile).  So I set to work making my own recipe.  I don’t know that it’s exact, but it’ll do until I can go back to Texas again for a real one.

So do you want to hear what makes Fuzzy Taco’s so different from taco places we have around here?  See if you can tell from this picture:IMG_2711That’s feta cheese and cilantro.  I never would have thought to add those ingredients to a taco!  And the most essential ingredient that you might not be able to see:  creamy garlic sauce.  HEAVEN!!! 

So obviously the cilantro and feta were easy to figure out.  And for the meat (you can get any kind you want at Fuzzy’s) I went with pulled pork because I have an awesome pork carnita recipe (the meat wasn’t the star of the taco for me, so I wasn’t as concerned with getting that flavor the same).  The garlic sauce was what had me stumped.  It’s the star of the taco, so I knew I had to at least get it close.  And I think I did Smile!  So good!  Here’s my recipe:    IMG_2715

Fuzzy’s Taco (copycat) Ingredients: 

  • GF taco shells or tortillas (they taste even better if you heat them up a bit)
  • Garlic sauce (recipe to follow)
  • Pork (recipe to follow)
  • cheddar cheese, shredded
  • lettuce, chopped
  • tomatoes, chopped
  • cilantro, chopped
  • feta cheese, crumbled
  • Optional/if you’re lucky enough to have it:  Fuzzy’s hot sauce (purchased at Fuzzy’s)IMG_2716

Creamy Garlic Sauce:

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tb. butter
  • 1 cup mayo
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Sauté garlic in butter over low heat until golden (about 5 minutes).  Add garlic/butter to 1 cup mayo and blend.  Add pepper and garlic powder.  Put on your taco first thing and enjoy!!!

*I used this recipe as my inspiration.

Slow Cooker Carnitas:

(I usually double the spices)

  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp crumbled dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 boneless pork shoulder roast
  1. Mix spices together.  Coat pork with the spice mixture.  Place bay leaves in the bottom of the slow cooker and place pork on top.  Pour the chicken broth around the sides of the pork, being careful not to rinse off the spice mixture.
  2. Cover and cook on low until the pork shreds easily with a fork, about 10 hours.  Turn the meat after it has cooked for 5 hours.  When the pork is tender, remove from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
  3. To get a little crispiness, spread the shredded pork on a baking sheet, add some of the liquid from the slow cooker, and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

(This pork recipe is delicious and freezes really well.) 

*I used this recipe and changed it according to the reviews.

Now just put all the ingredients together for the tacos (lots of garlic sauce, not much cheddar, an equal amount of the veggies, and a generous sprinkling of the feta) and enjoy!  Seriously, so good! 

Now I just need to figure out how to make Fuzzy’s salsa.  Also heavenly! 

FYI: These ingredients are awesome separate too.  I kept getting bowls of the pork and adding garlic sauce, feta, and cilantro.  Yum!   

5 comments:

Mary DK said...

So Fuzzy's tacos and the salsa are gluten free? What kind did you order? What sides did you order? I was just diagnosed with wheat & peanut allergies so I'm on a gluten/peanut free diet and I miss Fuzzy's tacos so much!! LOL! Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making it for sure!

Bethany said...

Mary, unfortunately I'm not sure whether or not they're gluten free or how good they are at preventing cross-contamination. I asked, but the girls weren't sure what I was talking about. They said they believed it was all GF, but they didn't know for sure. I found a copycat recipe for their salsa and it didn't have any gluten in that.

I usually don't have a reaction to cross-contamination, so I'm not as careful as I maybe should be.

If you live near a Fuzzy's and find out more, let me know! In the meantime, enjoy this recipe. I'm in love with it!

Misplaced Momma said...

I'm pretty sure they use queso fresco not feta. It's all over down here in DFW but if you can't find it in Utah it's not hard to make.

The only part of the taco that could have gluten would be the tortilla but they use corn tortillas so I suspect you could reproduce that gluten-free.

Bethany said...

Misplaced Momma- I think they use queso fresco on the nachos, but feta on the tacos. Also, the seasonings in the meat worry me a bit. I have no clue what they put in those and the employees didn't know if it was gluten free or not when I asked.

A little cross-contamination doesn't always bother me, so I can't say for sure whether or not they're gluten free at the restaurant (though I'm leaning towards "yes"), but I know this yummy recipe is :).

Unknown said...

Yes they use real feta on their tacos as well as the nachos ...they also make everything from scratch and shred their own cheeses..(how do I know you wonder?) I worked there for a year :)