homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Gluten Free Summer Chopped Salad with Garbanzo Beans

Feta cheese is one of my favorite ingredients. If a recipe has feta in it there’s a very good chance I’ll love it. It just tastes so fresh and delicious!

Some of my favorite feta-containing foods are Greek chickpea salad, copycat Fuzzy’s tacos, and Greek frittata. I also love adding it to things like Brazilian haystacks, cucumbers, and quesadillas. My kids love eating it plain. It’s just so good!

And now I’ve found another favorite recipe with it and I’m in love!

Summer Chopped Salad with Garbanzo Beans

IMG_8844

It’s basically the same idea as this Greek chickpea salad, with a few differences (including the colors. The one above is so pretty).IMG_2827

Both are delicious and healthy!

I actually forgot to take a picture until there was hardly any left. I was too busy enjoying it. See:IMG_8845

It comes from Mountain Mama Cooks. What a beautiful blog! (And for my Utah readers, she lives in Park City. Lucky, huh?)

It’s an easy recipe. Just be sure to make it at least 6 hours ahead of time (preferably the day before). I made it about an hour before dinner thinking it would still be good, and it was okay, but it was incredible the following day!

Summer Chopped Salad with Garbanzo Beans

Ingredients
  • 1- 14 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1 english cucumber, diced
  • 3 green onions (scallions), diced (I used white onions ‘cause it’s what I had)
  • 1 orange or other sweet bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Instructions
Combine garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, bell pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, in a large bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in feta cheese and basil. This salad is best made the day before serving or at least 6 hours in advance.

This is perfect for the summer. Especially potlucks (except for the fact that you have to share it then…). It’s so fresh and yummy!

Enjoy!

No comments: