homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Gluten Free Greek Style Chickpea Salad

Here is another delicious lunch idea.  Really delicious.  I didn’t know much about chickpeas or whether I really liked them or not, but I thought I’d try this recipe out because it’s the bloggers favorite.  I discovered I do like chickpeas.  And so does my 1 1/2 year old son.  IMG_2828The recipe is from a cute blogger named Emily who blogs at Remodeling This Life.  I didn’t make it exactly like hers, but she says she switches it up all the time depending on the ingredients she has, so it worked.  I love recipes that still taste good even if you don’t have all the ingredients. 

Here’s a link to Emily’s recipe.

And the recipe:

Greek Style Chickpea Salad
Ingredients:

  • 2 cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 small red onion, chopped finely  (I used a whole small white onion)
  • 1/2 large cucumber (I peeled mine and chopped it up. Emily doesn’t peel hers)
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese (my new favorite food, so be expecting more recipes using it)
  • olives (I didn’t use any because I’m cheap and none were on sale. She usually uses kalamata but says black are fine, too)
  • fresh cilantro, chopped (I used some from my tiny new cilantro plant in my garden, so I didn’t use as much as I would have if I’d bought a bunch at the store)
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • salt (to taste)
  • cracked black pepper (to taste)

Emily mentioned that she’s heard this recipe is yummy with tomato, but she doesn’t like them, so she doesn’t use them.  I LOVE tomatoes.  But I didn’t have any.  Next time…

She also said:

It is best when made and then chilled for a few hours or overnight. I can never wait so I usually have some right away and the next day it is even yummier. It is good just as a salad by itself, or wrapped, or stuffed in a pita.

I couldn’t wait either.  So I had some right then.  And then 1 1/2 hours later.  And some more a few hours later.  I love fresh, filling salads like this!  It did get better each time too.  I’m actually looking forward to lunch tomorrow Smile.

IMG_2827

Enjoy!

No comments: