homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Gluten Free Mexican Potato Casserole

I figure it’s about time for an actual recipe post.  I haven’t been feeling well, so I’ve been slacking a bit.  I have still been making yummy dinners, so I’ve got a bunch to share with you, so be watching for them.  I’m also (obviously, for those who have been reading this blog for awhile) working on the blog design.  I’m still not set on what you see now, but I’m not sure what I’ll be changing (I’m not very good at this computer stuff, so it takes me forever!).  If any of you are good at this blog design stuff, I’m open to suggestions.  :)
Anyway, onto the food! 
I asked my husband to write a list of dinners he wanted, so I could go shopping.  He was awesome and went through a stack of recipes to pick out what sounded good to him.  I was surprised to see this one on the list.  We’d had it one time before, but I didn’t remember him really liking it that much, so I hadn’t made it again.  Big mistake.  We loved it!  And the leftovers were delicious (that’s a big thing for me)!  Also, like most of my recipes, it’s easy.  The hardest parts are scrubbing and cutting the potatoes and browning the meat.  Not too bad. 
Here’s the recipe:
(Original recipe from here.)
Gluten Free
Mexican Potato Casserole
    Ingredients:
  • 4 medium potatoes, with peel
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • 2 1/2 Tbs taco seasoning
  • 1/2 lb ground beef
  • 1/4 cup chopped peppers (red, green, or yellow)- I used both red and green because I had them
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese- I used Colby Jack, cheddar would be great too
Directions:
  1. Cut potatoes into bite-size pieces and place in greased casserole dish
  2. Melt butter… stir in taco seasoning
  3. Pour over the potatoes and stir to coat well
  4. Bake uncovered at 425 degrees for 40 minutes
  5. Stir… bake 10 minutes longer
  6. Brown and crumble beef;  add onion and cook until soft, then drain
  7. Stir in salsa and chopped peppers
  8. Pour over potatoes
  9. Top with grated cheese
  10. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes
Serve with additional salsa and sour cream if wanted.
Enjoy!

No comments: