homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Gluten Free Shish Kabobs

These were amazing! My husband got a fun shish kabob holder set for his birthday, so we decided to try it out. I went on a hunt for a good recipe on allrecipes (my favorite!) and found this. For those of you who didn't click on the link and see the rating it had I'll tell you. 4 1/2 stars (out of 5) with 578 reviews. That's awesome! And after eating these, I know why.

I did make a few changes as far as vegetables go, but I kept the marinade the same. Seriously, you've got to try these!

This is my modified recipe:

Gluten Free
Chicken and Bacon Shish Kabobs


Ingredients (the amounts on a lot of these depend on personal preference):

  • 1/4 c GF soy sauce (I use La Choy)
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbs honey
  • 2 Tbs oil (olive oil is definitely healthiest)
  • 2 green onions, minced (I didn't have any, so I just put onion powder in)
  • skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks (the recipe calls for 3. I used 2 and it was too much because we put so many vegetables on. The amount will depend on what else you put on and how many skewers you have)
  • 1/2 lb bacon cut in half
  • Whole mushrooms, cut in half
  • Cherry tomatoes
Extra ingredient ideas:
  • Zucchini, sliced
  • Onion, cut into chunks
  • Green, red, orange, yellow peppers, cut into chunks
  • Squash
  • Pineapple
  • Anything else you want
Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, mix soy sauce, cider vinegar, honey, oil, and green onions. Place chicken and vegetables into mixture, stir to coat. Cover and marinate for at least 1 hour. (I marinated the chicken for about 4 hours, then added all the other vegetables 1 1/2 hours before and it was delicious this way!)
  2. Preheat grill for high heat
  3. Cook bacon (this is optional. It makes the bacon crispy instead of chewy later on. Don't overcook; you need to be able to wrap it around the chicken)
  4. Wrap the chicken chunks with bacon, and thread onto skewers, so that the bacon is secured. Alternate with vegetables
  5. Lightly oil the grill grate. Arrange skewers on the prepared grill. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, brushing occasionally with remaining marinade mixture, until bacon is crisp and chicken juices run clear.
  6. Enjoy! This is DELICIOUS!!! (Yep- capitalized, bolded, and 3 exclamation marks... they're that good.)

We made some fruit kabobs to go with the theme of our meal. We drizzled melted Nutella on them and sprinkled colored coconut. Yum!

Fruit Dessert Kabob


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! Going to have to try it! Thanks for sharing.

Hallebose said...

Those look really good.
http://jtrader.hubpages.com/hub/Gluten-Free-Homemade-Dog-Treat-Recipe-Ideas-for-Celiac-Disease-Gluten-Sensitivity-in-Canines

Linda Joyce said...

This looks yummy! Thanks for the recipes. I'm going to post on FB on my author page. ~ Linda Joyce