I made it for the first time this past year and wish I would have done it sooner (I kept putting it off because I never had 2 of the ingredients and kept forgetting to buy them). Before that time I would either avoid recipes calling for "cream of..." soups or I would try to replace it with cornstarch thickened chicken broth (worked with some recipes, but not all). This stuff works so much better! You make up this mix and then add water and whip up the soup on the stove each time a recipe calls for it.
Gluten Free Cream Soup Mix
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk
- 3/4 cups cornstarch
- 2 T dried onion flakes
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 3/4 cups chicken boullion powder
- 1 t basil (opt)- I put this in
- 1/4 t thyme (opt)- I put this in
Directions for mix:
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container in fridge or freezer (EASY!!!)
When you need a can of cream soup, just whip up this recipe:
- Put 1/3 cup mix and 1 1/4 cup water in saucepan.
- Cook and stir until thickened (a few minutes).
EASY! And so nice to be able to use instead of buying a can of special gluten free cream soup for a few bucks.