homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Gluten Free Snacks Series: Popcorn


Popcorn is a perfect gluten free snack! One of my favorites. In fact, I just finished sharing a bowl with my husband (butter, salt, and parmesan cheese).

I prefer popping my own which is healthier than microwave bagged popcorn. If you don't have a popcorn popper, no worries. You can still air pop your own popcorn (in a bag or in a bowl). Or go ahead and eat the microwave popcorn. It's still delicious.

The best thing about popcorn (besides being inexpensive, counting as a whole grain, and being an excellent source of fiber) is how versatile it is! Whatever type of craving you're having, popcorn can help satisfy it.

Popcorn seasoning ideas:
  • The basic butter and salt
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Taco seasoning
  • Cheddar or white cheese seasoning
  • Powdered sugar
  • Cinnamon and sugar
  • Italian seasoning (haven't tried this one personally, but others have said it's good)
  • Drizzled chocolate (dark, milk, or white) (white sprinkled with cinnamon sugar would be heaven!)
  • Honey
  • Garlic powder
  • Ranch seasoning
  • Chili powder
  • Hot sauce
  • Herbs: Rosemary, oregano, basil, etc.
  • Etc.
The options are endless. Plus you can try different combinations of these. You can also find specific popcorn toppings at the store.

Health tip: Canola oil or butter sprays can be used in place of butter to help salt and other seasonings stick better.

Besides toppings there are add-ins you can think about:
  • m&ms or chocolate chips
  • Nuts
  • Dried fruit
  • Shredded coconut
  • Marshmallows
  • Chex cereal
  • Etc.
And then there's the different ways you can make popcorn:
  • Popcorn balls
  • Caramel popcorn
  • Kettle corn
  • Etc.
I just found recipes for coconut macaroon popcorn and honey butter popcorn! Can't wait to try them!

Do a recipe search for new ways to make popcorn. You'll find a ton (you can even find pizza popcorn!).

What ideas have I missed and what's your favorite way to make popcorn?

1 comment:

Kylee said...

Hi. My name is Kylee and I'm Iva Smith's sister in law. I just found out that I have celiac---(although I haven't had a biopsy yet) and my brother referred me to your blog.

Thanks for blogging the way you do. I have already found a bunch of tips, signed up for coupons, and found great recipes here-so thanks!!!!

Im sure I'll be stopping by frequently! :)