homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Gluten Free Chocolate Meringue Cookies

I love finding gluten free dessert recipes that are automatically gluten free (I tend to share less if I've used a special mix or flours because it can get so expensive). This is one of those automatically gluten free desserts! Plus it's DELICIOUS! I made them for my family one night and my husband loved them so much he took the rest to work to share with his co-workers (who named them "Dreamy Cloud Puffs" :) ) and requested I make them later for a family get-together. When he wants me to show off one of my baked goods it must be good!

CAUTION: These are extremely addicting and may tempt you to eat all in one sitting!

Chocolate Meringue Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 3 egg whites (already in the bowl in the picture)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
2. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla. Beat until the whites form soft peaks.
3. Slowly add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form, and mixture becomes glossy.
4. Fold in cocoa and chocolate chips.
5. Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls on to a greased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

TIPS: For steps 2 and 3 you really need to beat the mixtures till the peaks form and don't let it sit in between steps. It usually takes at least 5 minutes with an electric beater. If you don't do it right your cookies could turn out flat. (I've made these 3 times. The first and third time they were perfect. The second time they were flat.)

I got this recipe here, from allrecipes which means you can use the sites serving size calculator if you want more or less. You can also choose different options for printing the recipe (though I will get a printable recipe card on the site one of these days) and read reviews to see how people have altered the recipe (like adding nuts to it). I love that site.
Double Chocolate Meringue Cookies

No comments: