homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Monday, September 28, 2009

Gluten Free Chicken Alfredo

I know there are tons of different alfredo recipes out there, but this is the easiest I've seen without opening a jar of the pre-made stuff (which I'm usually all for except when it comes to alfredo). I like easy and yummy. This recipe really fits that well.

Also, the Parmesan Cheese it calls for is just the sprinkle on kind that you put on spaghetti, which is wonderful for me because I always have this in my fridge and don't have to worry about buying an expensive block of Parmesan.

Now, I realize this is a pasta recipe and you have to buy special gluten free pasta that can be expensive and sometimes doesn't taste very good. But I have found a solution to that! Walmart now sells De Boles Rice Pasta (not the best kind, but decent)!!! And at the Centerville Walmart it's only $1.30 a box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know, I know... amazing (hence all the exclamation marks)! I've also read that Target carries De Boles now, but I haven't checked.

Chicken Alfredo
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb. gluten free noodles
  • 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
  • 1-1/4 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 4 tsp. cornstarch
  • 4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz.) Cream cheese (or Neufchatel Cheese), cubed
  • 3 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided (2 T and 1 T)
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • Optional: Cooked vegies to add in, so it can be a one skillet meal. We love tomatoes, carrots and broccoli.
Directions:
  1. Cook pasta as directed on package.
  2. Meanwhile, cook chicken in large skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Remove from skillet.
  3. Heat broth in same skillet.
  4. Put some of the heated broth in a small separate bowl and mix with cornstarch.* Stir into skillet with rest of broth.
  5. Stir in cream cheese, 2 Tbsp. Parmesan, garlic powder and pepper.
  6. Cook 2 min. or until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly with whisk.
  7. Stir in chicken and vegies.
  8. Add mixture to drained pasta.
  9. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
*If you haven't already figured out how to use cornstarch as a thickener, do so. You can make tons of recipes gluten free by using cornstarch as a thickener instead of flour (i.e. gravy, soups, etc).

Enjoy!

I got the recipe from a KRAFT magazine and altered it to fit my needs. It can be found here.

Chicken Alfredo

No comments: