homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Gluten Free Curried Rice Pilaf

IMG_5491I needed a new rice side-dish and stumbled across a real winner. I’ve made it three times. First for my little family (we all loved it), then for my mom when she was visiting (she loved it and asked for the recipe), and last for my in-laws (who also loved it and wanted to know how to make it). So pretty much what I’m saying is it’s awesome. Awesome enough to make when you have company, but easy enough to make when it’s just you. So make it.

Here’s how (I made very few changes to the original recipe, which can be found here):

You’ll need green onions, garlic, butter, rice, curry powder, chicken broth, salt, raisins, and toasted almonds.

In a large skillet, sauté 1/4 cup onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in rice and curry powder. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. In a saucepan, heat broth and salt (notice it on the back burner). IMG_5475

Pour over rice mixture and stir. IMG_5476

Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender.IMG_5477

I didn’t get a picture of this, but while rice is simmering toast the almonds (if they aren’t already). Just melt some butter in a small skillet then add the almonds and sauté till lightly browned (toasted).

Remove from the heat and stir in raisins, almonds and remaining green onions (unfortunately, I didn’t have enough onions leftover to put on top this time, so I didn’t… still yummy). IMG_5479IMG_5480

Then enjoy this delicious, lightly sweet (without actual sugar) rice dish!IMG_5495

Other details:

  • The original recipe calls for long grained rice. I just use regular. Long grained is probably better (fluffier or something), but I wouldn’t know. I’m not that fancy.
  • The original recipe also calls for golden raisins. I just use regular raisins because I always have them on hand for the kids. I don’t really know the difference.
  • This takes planning ahead because it takes about 50 minutes, but it’s still really easy. 35 minutes of that it will be simmering and you won’t have to be doing anything. It also dirties 3 pans, (main skillet, chicken broth pan, and skillet to toast almonds), but it’s definitely worth it.

Here’s the copy, paste, print recipe:

Gluten Free
Curried Rice Pilaf

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups rice
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
Directions
  1. In a large skillet, saute 1/4 cup onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in rice and curry powder. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
  2. In a saucepan, heat broth and salt. Pour over rice mixture; stir. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in raisins, almonds and remaining onions.

IMG_5494

No comments: