homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Friday, June 3, 2011

Gluten Free Gourmet Burger Ideas

DISCLAIMER:  TWISTED ROOT BURGERS ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE!  THE BURGERS HAVE BREADCRUMBS IN THEM.  THIS IS A POST ABOUT USING THEIR IDEAS AND MAKING YOUR OWN GOURMET BURGERS

Do you remember how I mentioned that I came up with a bunch of different dinner ideas from my Texas trip?  Well, Fuzzy's Tacos were by far my favorite, but another place I absolutely LOVED was Twisted Root Burger Company.  It's a Triple D restaurant, so you know it's going to be good.


Unfortunately, I don't know how to fully copy their burgers.  The meat was fresh and had a great flavor and I'm not sure what seasonings to use to get my burgers to taste the same.  I also have no clue how to replicate their sauces (they were quite tasty).  But I still wanted to try to recreate these burgers (minus the bun and sauces) until I go back to Texas to visit.

Check out the menu.  I got the Green Chile, Guac & Pepperjack Burger, minus the bun.  YUM!  I never would have thought to put green chiles on my burger.  Or half of the other ingredients on that list.  So take your pick and make it.  The ingredients are pretty basic, so you can easily recreate that part.  Add a tomato, lettuce, and pickles if you'd like and you've got a yummy gourmet burger.

I made our burgers by melting the pepperjack cheese on it while it was on the grill and then adding green chiles right out of the can (I'm not sure whether or not they sauted theirs) and adding homemade guacamole.  Tasty.  Definitely not as good as Twisted Roots, but good enough.  It was nice to get lots of new burger ideas.

The next time I make some gluten free gourmet burgers I'm going to do the Blue Cheese & Jalepeño Burger.  My sister-in-law got that one and let me have a bite.  Very good!  I'm thinking it'd be fun to have a gourmet burger bar for a bbq.  Put out all of those fun toppings and let people create their own. 

If you think it's weird to have a gourmet burger without the bun, there are gluten free hamburger bun options.  I generally don't use them.  At this point I actually prefer bunless burgers anyway and these burgers are so delicious and packed with flavor that you don't really need them.  It's completely up to you.

So give one of these a try and let me know what you think!


As a side-note, I'm really excited because while researching blue cheese for this post, I discovered this article that states blue cheese IS gluten free.  Wahoo!  I'd heard it wasn't safe since it's grown on wheat bread, but apparently that's not the case anymore.  (Hopefully.  If you're extremely sensitive you'll want to research this and decide for yourself.)

Disclaimer:  The buns and actual meat at Twisted Root Burger Co. were not gluten free and I don't know about the Twisted Root Burger sauces, seasonings, fries, etc.  If you go there you'll need to find out for yourself.  The recipe ideas are gluten free because you'll be making them yourself.

No comments: