homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gluten Free Spaghetti and Meatballs

We don’t go out for Valentine’s Day dinner.  Too crowded.  Plus our wedding anniversary is the week before, so we’ve just barely had a romantic outing.  We’ve decided to make Valentine’s day a family day for our kids. 

I’ve always wanted to try meatballs, so I decided to make them for our Valentine’s dinner.  I know, I know.  How can I be 26 years old and never had meatballs?  I wouldn’t try them when I was a kid because I thought they were gross.  Now that I actually want to try them I can’t because they usually have gluten (bread crumbs) in them. 

I used this recipe from allrecipes.  It was pretty good, but next time I’ll cut down on the sugar (like the reviews suggest).

Instead of the bread crumbs I used this:IMG_1639

I found them in Highland at Kohler’s grocery store.  I bought them because they cost around $2.  Cheap, huh?!  I used the last of them on these meatballs, so I really need to look around for more.  I put Italian seasoning in them to make them “Italian seasoned bread crumbs.”

For the noodles I used what I had on hand (my sister-in-laws mom gave these to me):

IMG_1640I’m not sure where she got them, but as you can see, she got them on clearance for $1.60.  I'm really glad I was given these because I never would have given them a chance otherwise.  I thought rice pasta was the only gluten free way to go.  Potato pasta gets mushy and I thought corn pasta would have too strong of a corn taste.  I was wrong.  At least with these ones.  Really good! 

IMG_1637

I’m super cheap, so my family had regular gluten-filled pasta while I had this.  It turned out really good! 

I don’t know that the meatball recipe I used is the best out there (there’s a Martha Stewart meatball recipe I want to try- it has bacon in it!), but it was pretty good.  Mostly I just want to let you know that the gluten free corn flake crumbs worked wonderfully and were a great price!

It was a fun dinner!  We also had jell-o with strawberries in it and green salad (the rest of my family also had heart shaped garlic bread- yeah, I’m that nice.  I make things for them I can’t eat.). 

IMG_1636

Do you have a favorite meatball recipe?

No comments: