homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gluten Free German Chocolate Cake

Last Sunday we had a quadruple birthday party at my parents (mine, my husband’s, my brother’s, and an exchange student staying with my family).  My mom made my sister and I this delicious gluten free German chocolate cake!

IMG_2087

She used a Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate cake mix, which was yummy.  (I also recommend Gluten Free Pantry and Glutino cake mixes.  You'll need either buttermilk or yogurt if you make the Gluten Free Pantry cake.  I've made it 3 different times, once using buttermilk, once yogurt, and once a homemade buttermilk with milk and vinegar.  All tasted excellent, so just do whichever you feel like.)

Here's the recipe.  There are more ingredients at the bottom of the recipe, so be sure to read the whole thing before going shopping for the ingredients. German Chocolate Frosting

Gluten Free
German Chocolate Cake Frosting

1 cup sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
3 slightly beaten egg yolk
1/2 cup butter (1 cube)
Stir over medium heat until thick (12-15 minutes after it boils)
(when it's golden and pops it's done)
remove from stove and add:
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 cup pecans

IMG_2086

Serve with gluten free ice cream on the side and enjoy!

No comments: