My mom suggested I try "Wheat and Rice Cereal." (I know... this is a gluten free blog and the title of that recipe has "wheat" in it. Don't worry. I've altered the recipe, so we can eat it. I love it that much!) I remembered seeing my her make and eat that stuff before and in my mind it was one of those foods that only my mom's generation and older liked (like cream of wheat and black licorice), but I was desperate, so I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. It was delicious and filling and simple! Everything I love!
Another reason I love this recipe is because I love oatmeal, but I hate the high price of gluten free oats. With this recipe I'm still getting to eat my oats, but I'm stretching them a lot further, so I'm saving money. In fact, I prefer this cereal to oatmeal even if money wasn't an issue.
Anyway, enough about that. Let's get to the recipe. It does take some forethought (you need to boil some water the night before), but it's simple.
- 1/4 cup brown rice (in the original version it was whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 1 cup GF raw oatmeal
- Raisins (as many as you want)
- Apple, diced (as many as you want)
- Brown sugar or honey
- *Bring water and brown rice to a boil, then cover, turn off stove, and let sit overnight (this gives it a different texture that is perfect for a cereal).
- In the morning add: cooked white rice, oats, raisins, apples
- Serve with milk and brown sugar or honey. Enjoy!
*If you don't have cooked white rice left over from some meal (I always seem to have some in the fridge) and you don't want to take extra time to cook it separate, you can add it in with the brown rice (it will just give it a little different texture, but will be fine0. Just make sure you double the water.
This cereal might seem weird to you at first, but give it a chance. I love it!