homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Friday, March 20, 2009

Gluten-free fast food

One of the biggest problems I faced when starting out on the gluten-free diet was knowing what fast food was gluten-free and what wasn't. I'd ask the employee if something had wheat or flour in it and they couldn't tell me (at sit-down restaurants the waiter can ask the chef, who should know). I once got some delicious nachos from Taco Bell after making sure the chips didn't have gluten in them. I had a few bites and decided I should ask my celiac-expert friend about them. Come to find out Taco Bell meat has gluten in it. Sad! But at least I found out before I ate too much.

As a result of that experience I am creating a series of posts with information on popular fast food restaurants. There are some obvious gluten-filled menu items and some not so obvious ones. I will point out which ones are not so obvious.

Each time I post a new restaurant I will add it to this list, which will link you to that post. If there is any restaurant you would like to know about that I have not covered, please let me know in the comments.

If you want to head to a restaurant I haven't covered yet, you can check for gluten on your own. The best way is to be prepared before you go. Do a google search for the restaurant and "gluten." I generally check both the restaurant's official website and a few other websites where people discuss their restaurants experiences as far as gluten free goes.

Reminder: The information I post is from the restaurants themselves and from other research I've done. It is your responsibility to reconfirm that the item is still gluten-free and to address any cross-contamination issues.

Taco Bell
Wendy's

1 comment:

JenRandall said...

Bethany, this is a great idea! Thank you.

I am posting links to your blogs at my Group on Facebook, if you're interested in joining and/or sharing the news:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=552710647&ref=profile#/group.php?gid=49063812671