homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gluten Free Asparagus Stuffed Chicken

So the actual name of this recipe is asparagus stuffed chicken breasts, but I used tenderloins, so I figured I’d leave that off. I’m all about working with what I have on hand. :)

IMG_5946This was a spur of the moment recipe I decided to try because I wanted to do something different with asparagus. Plus I had all the ingredients. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever made before, so I was thrilled when my husband and I both loved it! It has a yummy Hollandaise sauce that makes the dish.

The ingredients are pretty simple too: chicken, mustard, asparagus, gluten free corn flakes/cracker crumbs/bread crumbs (I’m sure these could be left off and it would still be yummy), butter, egg yolks, lemon juice, water, and salt. Optional ingredients are green onions, parmesan cheese, and almonds. (Full recipe with ingredients at bottom of post.)

IMG_5933Cut a few inches off the bottoms of the asparagus.

IMG_5934These are the gluten free corn flake crumbs I use. I get them at Kohler’s grocery store in Highland for only a few bucks. They last a long time.

Here’s what you do:

IMG_5936Cut the chicken and open it up like a butterfly. Spread chicken with mustard (just do a little squirt and spread it on) and sprinkle onion and parmesan cheese on if you’re using them. Place asparagus spears down the center of the chicken. Fold over and secure with toothpicks.

IMG_5938Place in casserole dish and sprinkle with corn flake crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes 

IMG_5940For the sauce melt butter in a small microwavable bowl. Gradually whisk in egg yolks, lemon juice, water and salt. Microwave, uncovered, at 30% power for 30 seconds or until mixture reaches 160 degrees F and is thickened, stirring once.

IMG_5943Spoon over chicken. If using almonds sprinkle them on now.

IMG_5944Enjoy!

IMG_5945
I realize that doesn’t look like much food. It wasn’t. I had seconds of everything.

Click here for the recipe I used from allrecipes.com.

Here is the recipe with my alterations and notes:

Gluten Free Asparagus Stuffed Chicken

Ingredients:

  • Chicken tenderloins or chicken breasts (I used tenderloins because it’s what I had. If you have breasts, cut them in half and pound them flat)
  • Mustard (original recipe calls for Dijon. I didn’t have any, so I used regular and it was great.)
  • (I didn’t have these, so I left them out, but I’m sure it’d be great, so I’m putting it on here in case you want to use it) 1 green onion, finely chopped
  • Asparagus spears, trimmed (amount depends on how many chicken breasts/tenderloins you want. And the tenderloins take less than the breasts)
  • Gluten free corn flakes or crushed crackers
  • Optional: parmesan cheese (I had it on hand, so I added it)

HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:

  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (I had these, but completely forgot to use them. It was still delicious without.)

Directions:

  1. Cut the chicken and open up like a butterfly. This can be a little tricky with tenderloins. You can always use 2 pieces like a sandwich. I don’t love tons of chicken, so cutting them worked great for me, but I also did a few “sandwich” ones for my husband.
  2. Spread chicken with mustard (just do a little squirt and spread it on) and sprinkle onion and parmesan cheese on if you’re using them. Place asparagus spears down the center of the chicken. Fold over and secure with toothpicks if needed.
  3. Place in casserole dish and sprinkle with corn flake crumbs.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes (depending on whether you used tenderloins or breasts), till juices run clear. (The original recipe tells how to bake in the microwave if you’re interested in that.)
  5. For sauce, in a small microwave-safe bowl, melt butter. Gradually whisk in egg yolks, lemon juice, water and salt. Microwave, uncovered, at 30% power for 30 seconds or until mixture reaches 160 degrees F and is thickened, stirring once. Spoon over chicken. If using almonds sprinkle them on now.

Enjoy! It’s so so good!

And as the original recipe poster stated, it’s really good with oranges on the side.