homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Thursday, December 15, 2011

How To Steam Broccoli in the Microwave

Sometimes it can be hard to come up with a meal when you’re on a gluten free diet. If you work on getting a bunch of delicious side dishes in your recipe box it can be much easier. Season chicken breasts or tenders any way you like and pick two side dishes to go with it.

One of my families favorite side dishes is broccoli steamed in the microwave. I’m especially fond of this method because it’s easy and always turns out yummy. My sister-in-law taught me how to do it (and she learned from her days working at Outback Steakhouse, so you know it has to be good).IMG_4492

First, wash the broccoli. This isn’t just important for cleanliness, but because you need the moisture in the broccoli for the steaming.IMG_4480

Next, chop it up into good bite-sized pieces and place in a a freezer ziplock bag (you can actually use any brand, but you’ll want it to be a freezer bag. They can withstand the heat).IMG_4481This next step is why it’s so yummy Winking smile. Add a lot of butter. Of course, you can use margarine, but butter is definitely the better choice. I used a half stick for my bunch of broccoli. You can use however much you want. Cube the butter like this:
IMG_4483

Next add garlic salt. I sprinkle on quite a bit. Sorry I don’t have exact measurements for this. IMG_4484

Seal the bag and shake it to get the butter and garlic salt mixed in.IMG_4485

Once you’ve shaken it, open up a section of the bag for steam to escape.IMG_4486

I set mine upside down in the (microwave-safe) dish/bowl I’m going to be serving it in. Make sure the opening isn’t blocked off.IMG_4487

Next, pop it in the microwave and cook it for 5-7 minutes. I used to know exactly how long to do it, but then I bought a house and got an ancient microwave that doesn’t even have a turntable, so it takes longer. I just check it and put it in longer if it’s not soft enough. Start with 5 minutes and add 2-3 if it needs longer.IMG_4488

When it’s done, lift the bag and pour it right into the dish it was sitting in.IMG_4490

Be careful not to get burned by steam.IMG_4491

And enjoy! Delicious, garlic steamed broccoli in no time at all!IMG_4492

You can also use this method for carrots and cauliflower. If I have all of them I’ll often put them all in together and make a steamed vegetable medley. The carrots do take longer to soften, so keep that in mind.

Enjoy!

P.S. They do sell bags that are specifically for steaming veggies, but I’m cheap and also have gallon sized bags on hand anyway, so I just do it this way.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thank you so much for all the recipe ideas and info. I love reading your blog! Even just for easy ideas like steaming broccoli! :) Thanks so much!

Bethany said...

Thanks Tiffany! I really need to get back into the swing of posting. I've made some fun things recently that I'll try to have up soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I used a quart size freezer bag about 3/4 full of frozen oriental blend for 8 minutes. Let then sit in the bag for 5 minutes. Perfect!! Thank you!!