These are the cupcakes I make when I need a bunch for a big party. They’re easy enough to make a large amount and they’re so good that they’re always the star of the dessert. I also make a strawberry version and take them too. (The directions for those are at the very bottom of this post.)
Of course, you can use your own chocolate cake recipe if you prefer. It works with any chocolate cake batter (as long as it’s yummy). The star of these is the cream cheese chocolate filling. Here’s how I make them.
Then use this recipe from allrecipes for the filling (my recipe and notes are below):
Fill the cups with chocolate batter then cream cheese mixture.
Enjoy either with our without frosting (I prefer without).
Maybe I should call them gluten free marble cupcakes. Thoughts?
I actually prefer the mini cupcakes for this recipe. They’re perfect for popping in your mouth and they have a lot of the cream cheese filling. Yum!
Here’s the recipe all ready to be copied, pasted, and printed (if anyone knows how I can make these printable by clicking it, let me know and I’ll do it):
Gluten Free Self-Filled Cream Cheese Cupcakes
Gluten Free in Utah
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I use mini chips)
- 1 package gluten free chocolate cake mix
- Ingredients cake mix calls for
- Preheat oven to temperature on cake mix and line cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
- Prepare chocolate cake mix batter how it says on box, but do not bake.
- In separate bowl cream together cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg until well blended, then stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill 1/3 full with chocolate cake batter.
- Add cream cheese mixture to the center. *I do at least 1 Tbs (usually much more), but it’s up to you how much you use. Total the cup should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake according to cake package directions.
- Cool and frost. If you want to. They’re so delicious, I like them without frosting.
Also, you should try a strawberry and white chocolate version of this recipe. Do everything the same except for these changes:
- white gluten free cake mix instead of chocolate
- strawberry cream cheese instead of white
- white chocolate chips instead of regular