homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Gluten Free St. Patrick’s Day Meal Idea: Corned Beef and Cabbage

Since we were married 4 years ago, my husband and I have celebrated St. Patrick’s day with his old roommates and their wives.  So fun!  We have an Irish meal, dessert, try to make up some limericks, watch an Irish movie (this year it’s Far and Away), and always toast to Ned Devine with root beer (we turn the movie Waking Ned Devine to the part at the very end where everyone toasts him and join in).  It’s a blast!  And it works perfectly to do with friends because it isn’t a holiday usually celebrated with extended family.  

IMG_2093

Anyway, my point of sharing all of this with you is because part of the Irish meal we have is always corned beef and cabbage.  The first year we did this I was quite worried.  I didn’t know if I liked corned beef and I didn’t like cabbage as a kid.  It ended up being delicious!  Really delicious!  Now, whenever I see corned beef on sale on the store, I snag some up and St. Patrick’s day season is the best time to find it on sale.

Winco in Clinton had it for $1.68/lb last Saturday, so I got some.  Yum!  You simply put the meat and seasoning packet it comes with (how awesome is that?!) into the crock pot, add a little water and cook!  Add cabbage when there are a few hours left.  It’s easy and delicious!  I also added potatoes when I made it on Monday.

Give it a try.  It’s perfect for St. Patrick’s day!

(I just guessed on the amount of water and cooking time, but you could check online to get exacts.)

2 comments:

Brady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brady said...

Love corned beef on St. Patrick's Day! Used to have it every St. Patrick's Day Sunday growing up. Soo delicious!