homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Gluten Free Caramel Pops/puffs


I LOVE these!  Unfortunately, they're mostly corn syrup and the pops themselves are full of artificial ingredients, which is definitely not healthy.  But every once in awhile I just don't care because these are so yummy!  I first had these at a big family get-together.  They were one of the only gluten free treats there and I was so excited about them.  I think that even if I could eat gluten these would still be my favorite get-together treat.  They do take a long time to make, but they're easy.  The time is just because they bake for a long time and you have to stir them every once in awhile.  They're totally worth it though.

These are gluten free because the brand of puffed corn snacks are gluten free.  If you use a different brand than this, be sure to check the ingredients.  I got this recipe from the back of the bag.

Gluten Free Caramel Pops

I use Corn Pops, but Kettle works too.
Ingredients/Directions:
  • 8 oz bag of Barrel O'Fun Corn Pops (or probably any brand of puffed corn snacks).  The picture shows Kettle, which will work too, but I really like the Corn.  (It's in a red bag instead of blue.)
    • Place corn pops in large roasting pan
  • To make the Caramel Coating mix the following in a 2 qt. sauce pan:
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 1 tsp baking soda
  • While mixing, cook for two minutes or until bubbly around the edges, remove from heat.  Add one tsp. baking soda to cause foaming (this will allow for proper coating of pops).  Pour caramel slurry over corn pops and stir until pops are properly coated.  Place in 250 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.  Remove from over and pour onto waxed paper.  Break apart (before pops can cool) to desired piece size.

Enjoy!

P.S.  I added the "/puffs" part on the title because my husband calls them Caramel Puffs rather than Pops.

No comments: