homemenubutton2aboutmenubutton2recipemenubutton2journeysmenubutton2linksmenubutton2contactmenubutton3

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pier 49 Pizza


As of the start of the year (2009) all Pier 49 Pizza locations in Utah started carrying gluten free pizza! This makes me so happy!!! I knew that the downtown Salt Lake location did GF pizza (I've been there twice) and that the owner of that one was trying to get other locations to offer it, but I didn't realize he'd succeeded in convincing them until my thoughtful husband randomly called up our local Pier 49 to ask about it and was told all Utah locations started offering it at the beginning of the year. Yay!

I really need to find out exactly how it all started and probably should have done so before doing this post, but I'm just so excited about it I couldn't wait (plus I don't want anyone who doesn't know about the GF pizza to have to go any longer without). Anyway, from what I understand, the manager of the downtown S.L. Pier 49 has a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law or some other relative who found out they couldn't eat gluten. That got him to start offering it at his location and he was rallying the other locations to do the same. He's pretty much my hero. I think I need to figure out his name and send him a thank you card.

Anyway, let me tell you about the pizza. It's DELICIOUS! I make homemade gluten free pizza, but it's not the same at all. There's just something about a pizza ordered from a pizza place that you can't duplicate at home and Pier 49 pizzas are better than most.

Pier 49 doesn't make the crust themselves, so you don't need to worry about cross-contamination problems happening with the flours in the kitchen. I've also heard that they're very careful about using only gluten-free pans and covering the pizza so it won't be cross-contaminated. I've never had a problem with it, but I'm also not super sensitive. If you are worried about cross-contamination, give your local Pier 49 a call and find out exactly how they do it. It'd probably be a good idea to call ahead anyway, to make sure they have some gluten free crusts on hand (since they order them in). Also, as a result of ordering the pre-made crust, there is only 1 size (10 inch at my location), so it's a pizza basically for 1 (with leftovers) or 2 (but you'll both be wanting more).

Since you'll want to get your own pizza rather than sharing, it does cost more than a normal pizza run would, but it's totally worth it. Plan on spending probably $12-15 for the pizza depending on your toppings. You can have whatever toppings you want and even do 1/2 one thing and 1/2 another (that's what I do since I'm so indecisive).

Click here to find a location near you.

No comments: